Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Chocolate Raspberry Breakfast Cookie

Mornings in our house go something like this. One of the kids, most of the time it's Pumpkin, wakes up the whole house. (We are working on the one.) And my Honey or I stumble out of bed and put on the hot water, its coffee for him and tea for me. While the water is heating we get milk and something easy to go along with it for them and us. My husband and kids will always choose some type of pastries if it is in the house and even when it's not my Honey keeps looking for one that it's going to magically appear.

Cupcake & Pumpkin enjoying today's Breakfast Cookie
My keep the family healthy solution? Breakfast cookies! I stumbled upon the idea when I was doing a sugar detox before I was pregnant with Macaroon. There was a recipe for oatmeal pancakes and while those were not a winner for us I was able to make some adjustment and DING DING DING we had a hit on our hand.

Since then I've tweaked the recipe many times and have a couple of variations but the base is always the same.

Chocolate Raspberry Breakfast Cookie
Base:
3 ripe (the browner the better) bananas
12 large eggs
6 cups of quick cook oats

Today's Variation:
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp pure vanilla
dash of salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
12 oz raspberries (I use frozen)
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Blend cocoa powder, spices and wet ingredients well. Mix in oats till all are wet. Fold in raspberries and chocolate chips. Let sit for about 15 min as the oats "rise".

I love how the raspberries taste and look.
Cook at 350 for about 15-20 min or until firm. Makes about 28 1/4 cup size cookies.
Let cool and eat or refrigerate or freeze.









Disclaimer: I don't know how much fat or calories are in each cookie, that is not my thing. I just put the stuff in them and eat.

Oh and for the record I am not eating these right now, as they are a grain based cookies, but I do enjoy them when I do! In the mean time my family will enjoy them and I feel like a rock star mom knowing that they have them ready for the week while mom is recovering. My little helpers even got to help me whip them up while baby kicked it in his favorite spot in the house.
Macaroon kicking it.
Next week I will be cooking something up that I can enjoy too: Grain Free-Sugar Free-Pumpkin Banana Bread.

Got to buzz, off to surgery.
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment