Friday, August 2, 2013

Summer Soup Almost Flop

I will admit it. I am one of those people who LIKES the rain! A cool day with a cup of hot tea and a good book next to the fireplace, listening to the rain fall outside. That is MY idea of a great vacation...even more so now that I have busy little kids that keep me on my toes. Another confession? I hope my kids like to read as much as I do! I love that my grandma and I enjoy the same books and want that same thing with my kids. At least one of them. At least they love mama reading them stories now.

Today the weather was cool, no rain but still a much needed reprieve, in my opinion, from all the great hot sunshine we have had. I enjoyed putting on pants and sleeves and not being a sweaty mess! And while the weather feels fall I wasn't ready for a hearty soup just yet,  but soup still sound amazing. So I made a HUGE pot of vegetable soup with cabbage, yellow squash, zucchini, onion, garlic, celery and chili powder. (I just read that chili powder is a great natural source of vitamin e and I'm trying to eat more of my vitamins these days.) Well, the soup was a bit of a let down so I will not bother to share with you my recipe. However I redeemed it with my "it's got a kick" taco meat. Tossed a little into my bowl and the bland veggie soup was the perfect compliment to it. Woohoo, saved the soup and maybe even some calories by eating my taco that way instead drowning it with piles of cheese, avocado and yogurt. I'll save that for another day when I've roasted a bell or poblano pepper to use as my taco shell. YUMMY!

However, I needed a win today! My Macaroon is teething and fighting a bit of a head cold that he also passed to his sister. She is a trooper and was my big girl helper shopping today, but by the time we reached check out she was done. We were a sight! My oldest was at the play place (thank God!) but I had the baby in the front pack and my girl sitting on my hip. (Yes, I was holding both at the same time! Who needs the gym?) She was crying and snotting all over my shoulder as my checker rolled her eyes, the checker behind me tried to comfort her and the manager on duty tried to bribe her with stickers. (Let's be honest here, don't we all think this is the moment that they should be giving mom something? Like some high quality chocolate!) Well I had flash backs to my pre-kid days and thought "oh the judging that is going on right now." But now I have kids and I know that these moments DO NOT  tell the whole story. Truth be told, I was pretty impressed with how calm I was during all of this. And how great she was doing despite the fact that she was feeling crummy. I'd like to pitch a fit like that when I feel crummy and nothing is going my way. Heck, I've done it! Just ask my poor husband. Wait don't! Just give him chocolate for being so patient with me!

Got to buzz, way past my bedtime and my little pastries wake up early!
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment