Monday, July 1, 2013

Cherry July

Wanna know what I love about July? Cherries! Fresh, ripe cherries! There have been many a summer that I've eaten more then I should have and then mourned the fact that there were none left for breakfast. I have now learned the art of  measuring out my servings in advance and savoring each bite so they last longer. And (shh) since my little ones don't have the seed spitting thing down yet, I still get to hog most of them to myself.

So what is a cherry loving girl to do all the other times of the year? In the past I would go for Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt, those cherry chocolate things that show up around Christmas, Shirley Temple or Roy Roger (yes, I know how bad maraschino cherries are for me) or my favorite candy bar! It's this chocolate cherry bar thing from Australia that is just a little bit of heaven in each bite. But I met that candy bars and other cherry treats three kids ago and now I'm trying to make more healthy choices. (FYI: will still eat those candy bars when ever I get the chance!)

In my quest for CHERRY bliss I've added two recipes to my family cookbook. Cherry Chocolate Shake and Cherry Banana Ice Cream. Don't be fooled by the names, these things are just as good for you and they are to eat. And even while the fresh ones are in season, the cold temperature of these make them extra perfect for these hot days!

Cherry Chocolate Shake
1 cup frozen cherries
1 heaping tbsp of cocoa powder
1 cup of milk, more or less to get desired thickness (coconut and almond milk are also very taste in this)
Optional add in: 1-2 tbsp chia seeds!

Combine first 3 ingredients in blender. Blend till smooth. Pour into glass and enjoy. If you add the chia seeds I suggest that you stir them into your glass, not using the blender, and letting it sit for about 5 minutes. If you can wait that long!


Cherry Banana Ice Cream
.5 cup frozen cherries
half a banana (I used a fresh one, but frozen would probably work to.)

Combine in blender or food processor till smooth. Scoop into serving dish and enjoy!

Got to buzz, I've got a monthly menu to plan and shopping list to make. You can bet fresh cherries are on that list!
-K

Added half of a ripe banana to my Cherry Chocolate Shake last night and so good! Try it!
-K


No comments:

Post a Comment